The New South Wales government has made more changes to the state’s roadmap for easing COVID-19 restrictions. Starting Monday, November 8, fully vaccinated people can enjoy even more freedoms, while the government has delayed the easing of restrictions for those who have not gotten vaccinated.
Originally expected by December 1, unvaccinated people will now have to wait until the state reaches its 95 percent double vaccination target or December 15, whichever comes first, to enjoy eased restrictions.
Starting November 8, the following public health measures will apply for fully vaccinated people:
- No more booking limits for restaurants and hospitality venues.
- Capacity limits lifted for major entertainment and recreation facilities.
- A density limit of one person per two square metres both indoors and outdoors applies for the the businesses outlined below.
COVID-Safe check-ins, COVID-19 Safety Plans, mandatory masking and proof of vaccination requirements still apply. Specific rules for industries include:
Restaurants and hospitality venues
- No person or booking limits required, given that density limits are followed.
- Singing and dancing are now permitted both indoors and outdoors.
- People may be seated or standing while drinking indoors and outdoors.
- Those who are not fully vaccinated can only use take-away services.
Event and entertainment facilities
- No more person limits for stadiums, theme parks, race courses and other major recreation facilities, subject to density limits or 100 percent fixed seated capacity.
- Cinemas, theatres and other entertainment facilities no longer have person limits, subject to density limits or 100 percent fixed seated capacity.
- Outdoor public gatherings and recreation no longer have person limits. COVID-19 Safety Plans are still required for events with over 1,000 attendees.
- Amusement centres and play centres can reopen with density limits applied.
- Dancing is permitted at nightclubs, and people are not required to be seated when drinking alcohol.
- Music festivals are prohibited.
Weddings and funeral services
- Wedding ceremonies are permitted with no person limit for those who are fully vaccinated. There is a 5-person limit for individuals who are not fully vaccinated.
- Wedding receptions are permitted with no person limit for those who are fully vaccinated. Individuals who are not fully vaccinated are not permitted. Eating and drinking are allowed while standing, and dancing is permitted, subject to density limits.
- Funerals are permitted with no person limit for those who are fully vaccinated. There is a 10-person limit for individuals who are not fully vaccinated. Eating and drinking are allowed while standing, subject to density limits.
- For those who are not fully vaccinated, singing or dancing indoors is not permitted. They must be seated while eating or drinking at weddings and funerals.