The manufacturers and makers behind the popular energy drink Monster are currently facing a lawsuit at the hands of the parents of a deceased teenage girl.
The girl is reported to have died due to possible complications related to caffeine toxicity.
Anais Fournier, the teenager in question, was 14 years of age and was reported to have consumed two cans of the popular beverage over the course of two days. She passed away less than a week later from causes related to the above mentioned toxicity which resulted in arrhythmia. The arrhythmia was related to a previously diagnosed disorder of the heart the teen was known to have suffered from.
As far as why the family has decided to proceed with a lawsuit, stated reasons address the possibility that there is not sufficient information out there for public consumption in regards to the consequences of over-consuming drinks like Monster. Monster and other similar drinks are indeed known to be potentially hazardous to the health when consumed in copious volumes. For those who suffer from heart conditions like Ms. Fournier did, they can be dangerous even when small to normal amounts are consumed.
Monster has officially denied that their energy drink was at all responsible for Ms. Fournier’s death. However, the United States Food and Drug Administration is currently in the process of investigating up to five other deaths suspected to have been related to Monster and its products.
Energy drinks such as Monster typically contain roughly triple the amount of caffeine contained in a standard can of cola, which can cause certain health complications, especially those related to heart function. Medical experts are currently looking into whether or not such drinks should be labelled with appropriate warnings. There has also been talk of implementing an age limit on consumption of the drinks.